P. Loegering. Ph.D.
Professor - Wildlife Ecology
UMC Natural Resources Department
of Fisheries, Wildlife and Conservation Biology
College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences, St. Paul
Resume: resume pdf
Courses Taught (50% FTE):
1663 "Principles of Fisheries Management" (spring)
3374 "Ecology" (fall, odd numbered years, e.g., 2001)
3464 "Mammalogy" (fall, even numbered years, e.g. 2000)
3466 "Ornithology" (spring)
3654 "Wildlife Ecology and Management" (fall)
- Avian ecology
- Wildlife-habitat relationships
- Wildlife-human interactions
- Riparian and wetland ecosystems
- Quantitative ecology
- Curator, UMC Wildlife Museum
- Loegering, J. P., and R.G. Anthony. 2006. Nest-site selection and productivity of American Dippers in the Oregon Range. Wilson Journal of Ornithology. In press.
- Zluticky, L. and Loegering, J. P. 2004. First cattle egret in Mahnomen County. Loon 75:234. Co-authored with UMC's first Wildlife Management graduate.
- Loegering, J. P. 2003. American Dipper. Pages 466-468 in D.B. Marshall, M.G. Hunter, and A.L. Contreras, eds. Birds of Oregon: A General Reference. Oregon State University Press, Corvallis. 752pp.
- Loegering, J. P., and W. D. Edge. 2001. An interactive website increases student participation and learning. Journal of College Science Teaching 31:252-257.
- Loegering, J. P., and W. D. Edge. 2001. Reaching a broad audience with a conservation message. Pages 134-136 in R. Fields, R. J. Warren, and H. Okarma, editors. Proceedings of the Second International Wildlife Management Congress. Godollo, Hungary.
- Edge, W. D., and J. P. Loegering. 2000. Distance education: expanding learning opportunities. Wildlife Society Bulletin 28:522-533.
- Loegering, J. P., and R. G. Anthony. 1999. Distribution, abundance, and habitat association of riparian-obligate and -associate birds in the Oregon Coast Range. Northwest Science 73:168-185.
- Loegering, J. P., and W. D. Edge. 1999. Wildlife conservation in high schools: filling an
empty niche. Transactions of the North American Wildlife and Natural Resources Conference 64:363-372.
Membership in Professional Organizations
- Association of Natural Resource Extension Professionals
- American Ornithologists' Union
- Minnesota Ornithologists’ Union
- Association of Field Ornithologists
- Duluth Audubon Society
- Cooper Ornithological Society
- Society for Conservation Biology
- The Wildlife Society - Parent, Minnesota, and Student Chapters
- Wilson Ornithological Society
Awards and Honors:
- Distinguished Teaching Award for excellence in teaching. 2005. University of Minnesota, Crookston.
- Student Chapter Advisor of the Year. 2004. Presented by The Wildlife Society at the 11th Annual Conference, Calgary, Alberta.
- Outstanding Educator. 2004. Presented by the University of Minnesota, Crookston Student Body (Crookston Student Association).
- Award of Distinction, Nature Northwest Project. 2003. Exemplary project from Northwest Regional Sustainable Development Partnership, University of Minnesota.
- Silver Medal Award, Agricultural
Communicators in Education, 2000. Awarded to J. P. Loegering and W. D.
Edge for "An interactive website to increase student participation
and learning", ACE Critique and Awards Program.
- Silver Medal Award, Agricultural
Communicators in Education, 1999. Awarded to W. D. Edge and J. P.
Loegering for FW251, Principles of Wildlife Conservation.
- Outstanding Service Award, Oregon
Chapter of The Wildlife Society, 1998.
- Ph.D., Wildlife Science, Oregon State
University, Corvallis, OR 1997
- M.S., Wildlife Science, Virginia
Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA 1992
- B.S., Zoology and Biology, minors in Chemistry and Botany, North Dakota
State University, Fargo, ND 1988
- Certified Wildlife Biologist, The
Wildlife Society, Bethesda, MD