Return to: UMC Home
Insert Banner.gif in Images folder
Faculty & Staff > Academic Advising For Faculty > Grades


Grading System
Change of Grading Option
Agreement for Granting an Incomplete
Submit Mid-Term Alert Grades
Submit Final Grades
Submit Change of Grades
Academic Fresh-Start Policy
Privacy, Security, and FERPA Information

Grading System

The University has two grading systems, A-B-C-D-F (with pluses and minuses) and S-N (Satisfactory-No credit). Students may receive grades only from the grading system under which they have registered for a course. Each campus, college, and department determines to what extent and under what conditions each grading system is used, may specify what courses or proportion of courses must be on one system or the other, and may limit a course to either system.

| back to top

Change of Grading Option
When both grading systems are available, students must choose one when registering for a course. Students may not change their course grading option(s) after the second week of classes. In accordance with University policy, grades of “C-“ or higher are considered passing grades. A grade less than “C-“ will be awarded a letter grade of “N”.

| back to top


Agreement for Granting an Incomplete
The Grade “I” reflects an Incomplete which is a temporary grade that indicates coursework has not been completed.

The instructor assigns an “I” when, due to extraordinary circumstances, the student was prevented from completing coursework on time. An “I” requires a written agreement between the instructor and student specifying the time and manner in which the student will complete the course requirements during the student’s next term of enrollment. The completed “Agreement for Granting an Incomplete” form, will be submitted to the department office.

For undergraduates and adult special students, work to make up an “I” must be submitted within 72 hours of the last final examination of the student’s next term of enrollment; if not submitted by that time, in the sixth week of the next term the “I” will automatically change to an F (if A-F registration) or N (if S-N registration).

The instructor is expected to turn in the new grade within four weeks of the date work is submitted.

When an “I” is changed to another symbol, the “I” is removed from the record. Once an “I” has become an F or N, it may be converted to any other grade by petition of the instructor (or department if the instructor is unavailable).

| back to top


Submit Mid-Term Grades

The Mid-Term Alert System:

  • Is designed for students to receive an e-mail notification regarding their classroom performance from the fourth week through the seventh week of the semester.
  • Is recommended for those who appear to be in danger of receiving a grade of D, F or N. Students who are performing well may also receive an alert.
  • Allows you to create and send alerts showing the student's level of progress.
  • Generates an e-mail notice to the student and the academic adviser of record.
  • Is meant to provide helpful feedback on a student's progress in the course. The system is not to be used for final grade reporting and will not be part of a student's transcript.

Students with grades of “D” or “F” are encouraged to visit with their instructors and academic advisers regarding their academic performance, class attendance, and/or completion of assignments that require improvement.

Sending a Mid-Term Alert:

  • Mid-terms Alerts
  • When sending an alert, you may optionally include attendance information and any other free-form comments.
  • You will have a last chance to review your alerts, because once they are sent, you cannot edit or revoke them. If incorrect alerts are sent, you must notify the students involved directly.
  • This information can be sent either one student at a time, or you can select a batch of students and provide each student's information using a sequence of tables with rows of selected students.

The batch alert option is quicker when three or more alerts need to be sent. With a large number of students, greater speed and efficiency can be achieved by using quick keyboard navigation to fill in the alert information. More information about keyboard use is linked to pages within the batch operation. You will have one last chance to review your alerts, however, once an alert is sent, you cannot edit or revoke it. If an incorrect alert is sent, you must notify the student involved.

Advisor Access to Mid-term alerts:

Advisers of record receive e-mail copies of each midterm alert sent to their advisees. Students receive Midterm alerts via e-mail. To access the Midterm Alerts report log on to Management Reports, go to “My Active Advisees – Index Page” and click on the Midterm Alerts link on the grey bar at the top of the report. This will bring you to the Midterm Alerts report.

To add the My Active Advisees – Index Page report to your UM Reports home page, go to the Search Reports tab. Type “Advisees” in the search box at the top of the page and hit the search button. Click the check box in the “Include on My Home Page” column next to the report and hit the “include” button at the bottom of the page. The reports will appear on your home page under the Student Records subcategory.

My Active Advisees – Index Page

Access to UMReport information about your current advisees (Graduate and Undergraduate) with active status. The Index Page gives you a graphical view of your current advising load. From this page, you can access additional reports about your advisees including: Academic Record, Advisee Roster, Registration Holds, Registration Summary, Midterm Alerts, and No Enrollment.

| back to top


Submit Final Grades

Deadline to submit final grades.
According to University Policy, final grades are due on-line no later than three business days after the last final exam.

Final grades for classes offered during the first seven-week session are also due three business days after the final exam for the course.

With web submission of grades, students' grades will be posted to their records on a nightly basis, so students will be able to view their grades the next day. Grades submitted on the weekend can be viewed the next day. This means that students may be seeing grades "trickle" in, instead of seeing all or most of their grades on one specified date.

Availability for use of web-based grading system.
The web grading system will be available starting on the Monday of the last week of instruction for the semester. The exact date that the grading system will be available for use will depend upon the campus where the course it taught, as academic calendars vary by campus.

The web grading system will be unavailable from 3:30 - 5:30 am, Monday-Saturday and 3:30 am -12:30 pm, Sunday for system backup. Do not try to log into the system at these times, you will not be able to access the system and you will receive an error message.

Instructors of courses that are offered during the first seven weeks of the term will be able to access the system beginning the Monday of the last week of instruction of the 7-week session. If your grade roster is unavailable, please call 625-2803 for assistance.

Steps in submitting grades via the web
Submitting grades via the web is very simple. First, you will need to connect to the web grading system. You will need your Internet ID (X.500 Username) and password to log into the web grading system. Your Internet ID is the prefix before the @ sign in the University assigned e-mail address. For many people this is the first five letters of their last name and three digits. Passwords are individually set (see the phone numbers below for assistance with passwords or Internet ID problems).

After you have logged into the system, you will need to select the correct term, next you will be prompted to choose the course for which you wish to submit final grades. Your choice of courses will be based on the courses for which you are listed in PeopleSoft as the instructor of record. Once you have chosen the appropriate course, you will be given a list of students officially registered for the course. At this point you can either enter final grades for each of the students listed on your grade roster or you can upload grades from a separate grade file.

Supplemental grades or grade changes are to be submitted on the web. However, grade changes or early/late grades prior to fall 1999 must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar via the paper form.

Once the grades are entered and submitted, can I make changes?
No, once you have submitted the grades to the Office of the Registrar you cannot change the grades. If you submitted a grade in error or discover an error in calculating a student's grade, you need to submit the new grade via the supplemental grade system on-line. Note: if you are making changes to grades prior to fall 1999, you must submit the grade change to the Office of the Registrar via the paper Supplemental Grade Report.

| back to top


Submit Change of Grades

Grade changes are no longer accepted on paper forms. Supplemental grades must be entered on line.

Supplemental Grades
If you have questions about submitting supplemental grades, contact Linda Olson, Office of the Registrar, 9 Hill Hall, 281-8548.

| back to top


University of Minnesota Uniform Grading and Transcript Policy

If a student officially withdraws from a course during the first two weeks of classes, there shall be no record of that course registration entered on the student’s transcript. There shall be a symbol W, withdrawal, entered upon a student’s record when the student officially withdraws from a course in accordance with procedures established by the student’s college or campus. The W will be entered on the transcript irrespective of the student’s academic standing in that course if the student withdraws from the course during the third through eighth week of class (second or third weeks of summer sessions).

Withdrawal in the ninth or later week of classes (fourth or later in summer sessions) shall require approval of the college and may not be granted solely because a student is failing the course; there must extenuating non-academic circumstances justifying late withdrawal. Each student may, once during his or her undergraduate enrollment, withdraw from a course without college approval, and receive the transcript symbol W, after the eighth week of class and at any time up to and including the last day of class for that course.

During the first eight weeks of the term. The University does not require that the student justify any course withdrawal completed before the end of the eighth week. (Note that you may withdraw from one or more classes (but not all) by accessing the registration system through the published course withdrawal date as included in the class schedule).

After the first eight weeks of the term. Beginning the ninth week, the student must give evidence of extenuating circumstances to justify withdrawal from a course. A student may petition to withdraw completely from the University for serious and compelling reasons. All requests for withdrawal from the university must be submitted in writing to the Academic Standards and Policy Committee. The request for withdrawal approval must be submitted with a written explanation of the extenuating circumstances and any appropriate documentation to the Office of the Registrar, 9 Hill Hall. Students withdrawing from the University whose petition has been approved by the AS&P Committee will be assigned grades of “W”. Students whose petitions are denied will receive the letter grade awarded by the instructor based on the work submitted for the entire semester.

Extenuating Circumstances. There may be many reasons to request withdrawal from all of your classes including, but not limited to, sudden hospitalization, death in the family, a personal or family crisis, and unanticipated and unavoidable changes in employment. Avoidance of an undesirable grade does not justify withdrawal. Withdrawal requests requiring approval by the UMC Academic Standards & Policy Committee are typically only permitted for the entire semester and only for non-academic reasons. No withdrawals can be approved to avoid an unsatisfactory grade. Please continue attending all classes in which you are officially enrolled and complete the required coursework unless you receive written notification that your petition has been approved.

| back to top


Privacy, Security, and FERPA Information
Regent’s policy, federal law, and state law regulate release of student information to third parties. University policy regulates sharing of information within the University. Briefly, some student information is designated as directory information and is a matter of public record. This information consists of name, mailing address, electronic address (email), telephone number, dates of enrollment and enrollment status, major, adviser, college and class, academic awards received and degrees received. Students have the right to suppress this information.

Within the University, all employees with a demonstrated need to know will be granted access to student academic information. Some employees will have access to all information, others to limited sets of information. Employees with a need to know would include advisers, instructors, academic standards and policy committee representatives, and departmental data managers. Outside agencies acting on behalf of the University, the U.S. Department of Education authorized lending institutions, and accrediting agencies also have access to specific student information. Students’ have the right to review their education records, to challenge the contents of these records, and to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education.

The University has created a privacy and security web site to assist University faculty and staff in understanding and protecting private information. The site addresses types of privacy, ways of securing private information, specific requirements and policies regarding privacy and security and the role of the University in privacy and security matters. It covers information from student records, to employee information, to financial records, to health information. You have a legal responsibility to protect private information in your possession.

Also, an online FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) training module is available. All University employees who come into contact with any student data are responsible for upholding FERPA. This training module introduces users to the basic concepts of FERPA and how to protect student data. It is important that staff and faculty who work with student data complete this course. Go to the FERPA training course on-line.

| back to top