Return to: UMC Home
Insert Banner.gif in Images folder
Faculty & Staff > Academic Advising For Faculty > Withdrawal From Institution or Program

Withdrawal From Institution or Program

Procedure for Withdrawal from Institution
Procedure for Change of Program


WARNING! Dropping or withdrawing from courses can have serious financial and academic implications, possibly affecting billing, financial aid, VA benefits, eligibility to participate in NCAA athletic events and, for international students, immigration status. Students are strongly encouraged to consult with you and a financial aid counselor before withdrawing. Students are considered the responsible parties for any/all transactions processed against their academic records. Instruct students to contact the necessary University offices to get specific information regarding this process that is outside of your understanding (Financial Aid Office, Office of the Registrar, Student Experience/Parent Coordinator Office, etc.).

Withdrawal From the University (canceling registration in all classes)
All students who find it necessary or advisable to completely withdraw from college must obtain a withdrawal form from the Counseling & Career Services Office (245 Student Center, 270B Owen, 270D Owen), Student Experience/Parent Coordinator Office (145G Student Center), or International Study Abroad Office (240 Student Center), obtain the necessary signatures, and complete an exit interview before the withdrawal is official.

During the first eight weeks of the term. The University does not require that the student justify any course withdrawal completed before the end of the eighth week. Note that students may withdraw from one or more classes (but not all) by accessing the registration system through the published course withdrawal date as included in the class schedule. They may also meet with you to complete a Registration Form to withdraw from a course.

After the first eight weeks of the term. Beginning the ninth week, the student must give evidence of extenuating circumstances to justify withdrawal from a course. A student may petition to withdraw completely from the University for serious and compelling reasons. All requests for withdrawal from the university must be submitted in writing to the Academic Standards and Policy Committee. The request for withdrawal approval must be submitted with a written explanation of the extenuating circumstances and any appropriate documentation to the Office of the Registrar, 9 Hill Hall. Students withdrawing from the University whose petition has been approved by the AS&P Committee will be assigned grades of “W”. Students whose petitions are denied will receive the letter grade awarded by the instructor based on the work submitted for the entire semester. Direct students to the Office of the Registrar to fully understand the specific steps in this process (dates, forms, etc.).

Extenuating Circumstances. There may be many reasons for students to request withdrawal from all of their classes including, but not limited to, sudden hospitalization, death in the family, a personal or family crisis, and unanticipated and unavoidable changes in employment. Avoidance of an undesirable grade does not justify withdrawal. Withdrawal requests requiring approval by the UMC Academic Standards & Policy Committee are typically only permitted for the entire semester and only for non-academic reasons. No withdrawals can be approved to avoid an unsatisfactory grade. Direct students to continue attending all classes in which they are officially enrolled and to complete the required coursework unless they receive written notification that their petition has been approved.

Students Withdrawing or Dropping: Computer Return

  1. If the student has a UMC notebook computer and will not be registering for any classes in the next consecutive term, they must return their computer to the Help Desk by Friday of finals week of the current term. They will automatically be assessed a $50 late fee after this point.
  2. Students who withdraw at any time during a term must return the computer to the Help Desk as part of completing the withdrawal process. The student’s withdrawal form will not be signed until the computer is checked in.
  3. Students who drop below six credits during the term must advise the Help Desk of their decision, but will be allowed to keep the computer if they have paid the full $500 fee. Fees will be refunded according to the regular fee schedule.

| back to top


Procedure for Change of Program

To switch majors, students need to contact the Administrative Assistant for the department holding the major. The Administrative Assistant will complete the necessary paperwork and update the computer system with the changes.

| back to top