(Crookston, Minn.) – The University of Minnesota, Crookston Women’s Tennis team opened the 2008 campaign on Friday, February 8 with Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC) matches against MSU Moorhead at Courts Plus in Fargo, N.D.
The results did not turn out as hoped for the Golden Eagles as they were defeated 9-0 by the Dragons. However, first-year U of M, Crookston Head Coach Josh Lunak saw reason for optimism.
"Overall I thought we played pretty good for our first match of the year,” says Coach Lunak. “I was really happy with our number three singles match. Christa Nitsch (So, Becker, Minn.) put up a good effort and played really well. I saw a lot of things I liked and definitely some things we could work on for our upcoming matches this weekend."
The Golden Eagles will return to action on Saturday, February 16 at 8:00 am when they host the University of Minnesota, Duluth. They will host Northern State University on Sunday, February 17 at 9:00 am in NSIC action. Both matches will be held at Center Court Fitness in Grand Forks, N.D.
Here are Friday’s results.
Feb 8th at Courts Plus
MSU - Moorhead def U of MN - Crookston 9-0
1. Taborsky def Vanessa Houle 6-1, 6-1
2. Matheson def Jacqueline Noah 6-0, 6-0
3. Irina def Christa Nitsch 3-6, 6-2, 10-5
4. Benz def Susan Turner 6-1, 6-2
5. Cederberg def Kim Anderson 6-0, 6-0
6. Schafer def Melissa Mackedanz 6-0, 6-0
1. Taborsky/Cederberg def Jacqueline Noah/Christa Nitsch 8-3
2. Matheson/Benz def Vanessa Houle/Susan Turner 8-3
3. Schafer/Parker def Melissa Mackedanz/Kim Anderson 8-0
For more information, visit the Golden Eagle Athletics website at www.goldeneaglesports.com.
The University of Minnesota, Crookston is a NCAA Division II Institution and a member of the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC). Golden Eagle Hockey is a member of the Midwest Collegiate Hockey Association (MCHA). The Golden Eagle Equestrian team is a member of the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA).