All calendars in are in PDF format.
Calendar Committee Charge:
The UMC Calendar Committee is an administrative committee appointed annually by the Chancellor.
The committee develops the college calendar with input from the college community and other educational institutions. The proposed calendar is forwarded to the Chancellor for review and approval. The final calendar is submitted to the University of Minnesota Senate Committee on Educational Policy.
The UMC Calendar Committee consists of representatives from:
- university relations,
- student activities,
- residential life
- international office,
- the Registrar as chairperson;
- one faculty member selected from each academic unit; and
- three student members selected by the Student Association.
Calendar questions and recommendations:
Please contact email@example.com.
Calendar Committee Principles and Guidelines:
- 73-75 instructional days fall and spring semester
- Thanksgiving break will be Thursday and Friday only (two-days)
- Fall semester should be completed “early” (before December 23rd) to avoid holiday travel problems
- Balance the number of Monday and Friday where classes are not scheduled
- Good Friday will be a 1-day campus “floating” holiday
- Spring break week should be coordinated with UM-Twin Cities calendar
- Spring Semester final exams will occur Tuesday-Friday
- Spring commencement will be held on Saturday
- May session will begin on the Monday following commencement
- Summer session will begin on a Monday one-week after the conclusion of the May term
- Fall semester classes will ordinarily begin on a Tuesday to accommodate the special circumstances of the fall new student orientation program.
- Fall and spring semesters will each have one in-service non-instructional day (4th Friday in October, President’s Day)
-- adopted by the Chancellor’s Cabinet, Nov 2007, amended Dec 2008, Jan 2010, December 2013
The University of Minnesota Academic Calendar Policy