Return to: UMC Home
One Stop Ticket Registration
Registration | Financial Aid | Tuition & Billing | Grades Credits & Transcripts | Graduating | Calendars | FAQ
One Stop > Registration > Veterans Benefits

Veterans Benefits

If you are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces, you may be eligible for veterans' benefits. It is important to apply early as the certification process can take the Veterans Administration up to three months.

The courses offered by UMC are approved for veterans and their dependents eligible for educational benefits. Students should contact the Veterans' Certification Office or the Higher Education Veterans Programs Regional Coordinator for more information.

Veterans' Certification Office, Office of the Registrar, 7 Hill Hall,

Students can get help with any problems they have with the Veterans Administration (e.g., getting their check, filling out forms) and find out about the services available to veterans on campus. The office deals primarily with certifying enrollment for educational benefits assistance.

Veterans Certification Officer, Office of the Registrar
9 Hill Hall
University of Minnesota, Crookston
Crookston , MN 56716-5001
PHONE: 218-281-8548
FAX: 218-281-8549

Higher Education Veterans Programs

The Regional Coordinator supports the success of veterans, current military members, and their families at Minnesota 's colleges and universities by providing on-site comprehensive information about benefits and resources as well as creating institutional readiness in support of the unique needs of these students. Methods of assistance may include, but are not limited to, work-study positions for veterans; providing information and assistance regarding the availability of state, federal, local, and private resources; help with paperwork; and researching payments and other issues with receiving the GI Bill.

Tony Tengwall
Second Email: e-mail
Northwest Regional Coordinator
Higher Education Veterans Programs
Minnesota Dept of Veterans Affairs
Phone: 218-683-8550
Website: My Military Education

Application and Certification
  • Complete the online Application for VA Benefits 22-1990 (VONAPP) electronic application form. If you do not have the capability to apply online, you can call 1-888-GI BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to have a form mailed to you. Many forms can also be printed out from the VA forms online link listed in the right-hand column. You may also receive an application form from UMC's VA Certifying Officer.
  • Bring or mail a copy of your Application for VA Benefits to the Veterans Certification Officer in the Office of the Registrar, 7 Hill Hall (EXCEPTION: Applicants for Chapter 31 must meet with a USDVA counselor). The documentation will be forwarded electronically within two business days to the USDVA Regional Processing Office in St. Louis . Their decision on your eligibility may take up to 12 weeks.
  • Verify your enrollment. Once you are certified for your benefits, you must verify your enrollment with the VA at the end of each month before you will receive your payment. To verify enrollment, go to the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or call 1-877-823-2378.
Academic Requirements

To receive GI Bill and Chapter 35 benefits, you must meet the registration, attendance, and grades criteria described below. The University is required to report your performance to the USDVA if you fail to meet eligibility standards. As a result, you could receive reduced benefits and be required to repay benefits already paid to you.

Registration criteria

To receive the maximum benefit amount, you must be registered full time. The number of credits you take will impact your benefit eligibility, cost of attendance, and student status. For those reasons, before you cancel a class(es), send an email to or go to the Office of the Registrar and contact the Veterans Certification Office so you understand how lowering your credit load might affect your benefit status or financial aid eligibility. The VA will adjust your benefits retroactive to the first day of the term and may require you to repay all money paid to you for any courses that you cancel.

Attendance criteria

You must attend class and submit assigned work in order to receive benefits, according to VA regulations. If you are facing challenges in your classes, please contact your academic adviser or the Academic Success Center as soon as possible to learn about academic and tutoring resources available to assist you. The name of your adviser is included on your APAS report.

Grades criteria

You may have to repay your military benefits, if you receive:

    * an "F" in a class for not attending or submitting assignments.

    * an "N" in a class because the credits do not count toward your grade point average (GPA) or graduation requirements.


Veteran's Certification Procedures

Students under Chapters 30, 32, 35, 1606 and 1607- The following is a summary of University and Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) procedures and does not include all the information you may need.

Only the VA can determine an applicant's eligibility for educational assistance. Because eligibility criteria are different for the several educational assistance programs and the benefits for the programs vary, students with specific questions about eligibility should contact the VA .

If you plan to attend fall or spring terms, you can request certification for the entire academic year by contacting the Veterans' Certification Office in the Office of the Registrar. If you enroll for (or drop to) less than half time, you can be certified only for the current term; when you register for the next term you will have to reapply for certification.

You can request continuous enrollment/ payment during fall or spring term for the next term if you did not initially sign up for the academic year. Continuous enrollment/payment cannot be requested in the following instances:

  • if you are attending less than half time, or
  • are on active duty, or
  • are receiving section 901 benefits, or
  • if you withdrew from all courses in the preceding term.

If you will be enrolling at a half time rate or more when you enter school initially or reenter, but are not eligible for continuous payment, you may elect to be paid in advance for the first partial (or full) month of training plus the following full month. Payment for the next month, however, will not be available until the very end of that month. This means that if you receive advance payments for September and October you will not receive your November check until the first week in December.

If you do not participate in advance payment or if you are not eligible for continuous pay, you must be officially registered before requesting certification.

Enrollment certifications can be submitted up to 120 days before the term begins, unless training time is less than ½-time or you are on active duty. If your enrollment is less than ½-time or on active duty, the Enrollment Certification must be submitted on or after the first day of class and tuition and fees must be reported. Enrollment Certifications for flight training must also be submitted on or after the first day of training. You should receive your first check 6-8 weeks after the certification is sent to the VA.

If you requested certification for the academic year, you must be officially registered by the first day of each term. Failure to register by the first day of the term will result in notification to the VA and cancellation of payments.

Chapter 31 Veterans

If you apply early, you should receive your first payment on schedule, with direct deposit being made within 3-5 days and a paper check within 7-10 days after you complete WAVE verification. If you receive vocational rehabilitation assistance, you can refer questions to the Veterans' Certification Office 9 Hill Hall. To obtain books and supplies provide your enrollment statement and course list in-person at the Bookstore, 125 Student Center, or contact the Bookstore by e-mail at or phone at 218-281-8335.

Chapter 33 Veterans

Chapter 33 is the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) recently passed into law. At this time, benefits will not be paid under this chapter for training prior to August 1, 2009. For more information, see the FAQ available at .

May and/or Summer term

Registration requirements

You must register for summer classes before your summer certification is processed and sent to the USDVA. Please register as early as possible to ensure that your benefits will continue without a break. If you are not eligible for continuous payment, the Veterans Certification officer will certify your enrollment with the VA on the first day of classes.

Certification procedures

If you are receiving benefits fall or spring semester (enrolled at least halftime and not on active duty) and want to receive benefits for the May or summer session, you will need to:

  • Register for classes.
  • Appear in person or send an e-mail from your official University e-mail address to the UMC Veterans' Certification Office , requesting summer certification. Please include your University student ID number with your request.

If you are not receiving benefits for fall or spring semester, you must submit the documentation required by your benefit program. Choose your program link below for a list of required documents.

If you need additional assistance, please call the toll-free number 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to speak with a Veterans Benefits Counselor.

Maintain your eligibility

Veterans or veterans' dependents receiving educational benefits must conform to the following regulations to maintain their eligibility:

  • Register for at least 12 credits per semester to receive full benefits, 9-11 credits for 3/4 time, 6-8 credits for 1/2 time, 4-5 credits for less than 1/4 time. (Veterans Administration pays tuition only for 1-3 credits. These credits must apply toward a degree.)
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress toward graduation.
  • Report any changes in course load (cancellations, additions) to the UMC Veterans' Certification Office . You must repay benefits, retroactive to the start of the semester, for any course dropped 30 days after the start of a semester, or for any course not completed if the cancellation or incompletion changes their enrollment status: half time, three-quarters time, or full time.

Keep in mind that any veterans' education benefits you receive must be reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) . If you have specific questions, please contact USDVA St. Louis Office toll-free at 1-888-442-4551 or go to the USDVAWeb site, .

Credit requirements

Education benefits are based on your student status (e.g., full time, half time). To receive the maximum benefit, you must be registered full time. Part-time rates are reduced proportionately. Visit for complete information on current rates.



Full time

12+ credits

3/4 time

9-11 credits

1/2 time

6-8 credits

Less than 1/2 time (see below)

1-5 credits

Less than half-time enrollment

If you are registered for less than half time, you will receive a lump sum payment. This payment is reimbursement for tuition and fees (does not include the cost of books and supplies). Maximum payment rates are established for training at less than half time but more than quarter time. You would receive reimbursement of the actual charges for tuition and fees or the established maximum, whichever is less.

Chapter 32 students have separate training time rates established based on their contribution record and are paid at those rates rather than reimbursement of tuition and fees.

Chapter 30 students are not issued lump-sum payments. Monthly checks are based upon the prorated monthly rate of payment and training time pursued.

Military Leave

Active military duty

If you are called to active duty during the semester, you must present military orders to the Veterans' Certification Office located in the Office of the Registrar, 7 Hill Hall . Your enrollment will be canceled with full tuition and fee reimbursement. Processing may take several business days. If you are receiving financial aid, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid to determine how your financial aid will be affected. You are responsible for contacting your lender(s) regarding loan repayment options. For further information, please refer to the Active Military Duty Cancellation Policy .

Short-term leaves

If you will miss classes for short term military leave or military training exercises, (example: Annual training for National Guard and Reserve members) please contact your instructors as soon as you become aware of this so that appropriate accommodations can be made. For further details, please see the Policy on Makeup Work for Legitimate Absences .


University Health Insurance Requirement

Make sure you meet the University Health Insurance Requirement!
All students who are

  1. admitted to a degree program and
  2. registered for six or more credits per semester that count toward the automatic assessment of the Student Services Fee are required by the University of Minnesota to have health plan coverage.

Students with VA Health Care are eligible for a waiver. Students with this coverage should submit a copy of the waiver request form ( and a copy of the front and back of their VA card to the Office of Student Health Benefits.To learn more, visit or contact the Office of Student Health Benefits at 1-800-232-9017, 612-624-0627, or

Note: Academic Health Center (AHC) students continue to have separate health plan requirements as outlined here

Spouses of service members called to active duty

Students who are the spouse of a service member and have a dependent child are able to withdraw from classes with a full refund of tuition if their spouse is called to active duty. The same terms and conditions apply to these students as to the service members. Students must present the service members' orders to their college and University Veteran Services to begin the process of reimbursement.


The Upgrade is complete! View the new "how to guides!" Check out the new MyU!