Test Taking Tips
I. Multiple choice questions
- Check the directions to see if the questions need more than one answer.
- Answer each question in your head first.
- Mark questions you can't answer immediately.
- Read all answers to multiple choice questions before selecting one.
II. True/False questions
- Answer true/false questions quickly.
- Read carefully. Sometimes one word can make a statement inaccurate.
- Look for qualifiers like all, most, sometimes, never, or rarely.
III. Machine-graded tests
- Make your mark corresponds to the question you are answering.
- Check the test booklet and the answer sheet when you switch sections.
- Watch for stray marks.
IV. Open-book tests
- Write down any formulas you will need.
- Use tabs or paperclips on important pages.
- Number class notes and wrtie a short table of contents.
- Open-book exams are almost always the most difficult tests.
V. Short-answer/Fill-in-the-blank questions
- Concentrate on key words and facts.
- Be brief.
VI. Essay questions
- Find out what the question is asking-precisely.
- Before you write, make a quick outline.
- Get right to the point. Make your position clear.
- Expand your answer with solid supporting ideas and facts.